Re: Wiki: Emacs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Wiki: Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:02:21 -0400

On 17-Mar-2012, dg wrote:

| I found that Emacs 23.x does is not configured for "octave-mode".

Emacs 23 includes Octave mode.  What do you mean that it is "not
configured" for octave-mode?

I get syntax highlighting with font-lock mode even when I start Emacs
with

  emacs -q

(so it does not read any initialization files) and then open a .m file
and execute

  M-x octave-mode

(by default, Emacs 23 uses Objective C mode for .m files).  To switch
the default for .m files to Octave mode, you can use

  (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

in your ~/.emacs file.

jwe