Scatter Plot Help - exporting linearly interpolated rgb values

From: octave_newbie
Subject: Scatter Plot Help - exporting linearly interpolated rgb values
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

Octave newbie here...I have a data matrix, [X, Y, Z] where X, Y are positions
(X and Y are each Nx1 matrix) , Z is the corresponding height.

When I plot it using scatter plot, the function 'scatter' automatically
linearly interpolates the data Z into the specified 64x3 colormap (I
specified the 'jet' colormap), and plots the rgb values on a figure.

I would like to somehow find a way to obtain the interpolated rgb values in
matrix form. Is that possible?