Generic Mapping Tools

From: Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Subject: Generic Mapping Tools
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:04:43 +0100

Anybody combining Octave (3.4.3) with the generic mapping tools of the Hawaii University (http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/)?

I already googled, I'm aware of the MEX files to read grid files under Octave, but I wonder if there is an easy way of plotting from Octave using the GMT as a backend, i.e., not necessarily dreaming of this:

graphics_toolkit gmt

but at least some functions in Octave that pass data to be plotted as arguments to the GMT functions (not by saving on disk) to plot the data using GMT (and ideally in a X11 window and not to a PS file).

Thanks a lot for the answer in advance... Cheers, Ismael.