Re: help subsystem (makeinfo)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: help subsystem (makeinfo)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:52:32 -0500

On 10 February 2012 08:43, ahowe42 <address@hidden> wrote:
> I expanded the tarball into my downloads folder, and ran the installation
> from there (into /usr/local/share).  My first (easy) question is do I have
> to keep these installation files?

If you want to uninstall the 3.4.3 binaries you compiled, the build
directory contains instructions for "make uninstall" that will let you
remove the 3.4.3 binaries. However, since you're using Ubuntu, you can
instead use checkinstall like so:

    checkinstall make install

(I'm not sure if it requires root privilges, but I think it doesn't.)
What checkinstall does is create a simple Debian package, suitable for
personal use, that you can manage with dpkg. So "sudo dpkg -i
octave-whatever-3.4.3.deb" will install the 3.4.3 Debian package you
just created and you can later delete it with apt-get remove.

> Secondly: when I'm in octave, if I execute "help func" where func is not one
> my own functions, I get the message
> ""sh: makeinfo: not found
> warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo
> source of help text follows..."

Install the texinfo Ubuntu package.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.