Re: Find the Max Value in a Vector

From: Maynard Wright
Subject: Re: Find the Max Value in a Vector
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:46:23 -0800

<address@hidden>wrote:
> >> I have a (200:1) vector x1, and I want to find the maximal value in the
> >> vector.  It seems like max(x1) should give me the max value, but no,
> >> it's not even close to the right answer from manual inspection.  Hmmm.
> >> Maybe that's the index into the row vector where the max is stored?
> >> Although that makes no sense for a vector that isn't a row or column
> >> vector.  Nope.
> >>
> >>  That's wrong, too.  Is Octave capable of telling me the max value
> >>  stored
> >>
> >> in a vector?  I've tried what the 'help' page says should work, but I
> >> think I just need to go buy Matlab.
> >
> > Works fine for me. What version of octave, on what OS? Could you provide
> > a test case?
> >
> > octave-3.2.4.exe:24> x=rand(20,1)
> > x =
> >
> >    0.570176
> >    0.908796
> >    0.815253
> >    0.437041
> >    0.244348
> >    0.840917
> >    0.212318
> >    0.019978
> >    0.042693
> >    0.551441
> >    0.607535
> >    0.701187
> >    0.235667
> >    0.456407
> >    0.046169
> >    0.366124
> >    0.199947
> >    0.174513
> >    0.299213
> >    0.532349
> >
> > octave-3.2.4.exe:25> max(x)
> > ans =  0.90880
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Joanna

The values in your vector are printed using six decimal places.  Your Octave
is set to display only five in its answers, the default.  0.908796, the second
entry above, rounds to 0.90880.  Display one more place and you ought to see
the two as the same.

I hope Octave serves you well and that you stay with it.

Maynard Wright