Re: Who uses Octave?

From: Ron.Simonson
Subject: Re: Who uses Octave?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:32:32 -0800

Julien Salort wrote:
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:

I think we all understand that the GPL clearly forbids distributing the
resulting binaries.

I think  I understood this. I  still wondered if I  could distribute the
source code and Makefile.

If your intent is to attempt to avoid the terms of the GPL simply by
releasing a thin wrapper between Octave and a proprietary library,

I  personnaly   don't  attempt  anything.   I  don't   plan  on  selling
anything. If  distributing my  source code poses  a legal issue,  then I
just won't distribute it or try to switch to Matlab but this may require
some work and I'm not sure to have the time.

You may think you are helping people by releasing this code, but I
would urge to you not do it and instead work to provide free software
drivers for the hardware.

I do scientific research. To do this, I choose the acquisition card with
the required datasheet. It  happens that National Instruments provides a
free closed-source cross-platform library  to interface this card with a
computer.

I don't have  the knowledge nor the time  to reverse-engineer their card
and write my own driver. End of story.

Is there any problem with Julien sending his source/makefiles so that
we can look at it to see how difficult it will be to substitute
GPIBLinux or the Comedi libraries?  I do not have loads of free time and
I am not a programmer but I would try and take a look at this.  I use
the old GPIBLinux libraries for GPIB at home so I am not completely
unfamiliar with this kind of thing.

Talk to you later.  Ron.