How to pass variables from octave script to Ubuntu shell

From: Sebastian Döring
Subject: How to pass variables from octave script to Ubuntu shell
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:07:15 +0100

Hello list,

I am using a bash script to execute several other scripts including an octave script.
The bash script simply calls the octave script with the following command: "octave --silent --eval "myfile(\"$variable\")".

My problem is now, that I want the octave script to return a certain variable it has calculated during its execution, back to the shell, so that I can use it further and pass it again to another script (e.g. python).

I have searched google a lot about this and have also found a topic from this very mailing list (about "setenv"/"getenv"), but I don really seem to get it right.

I would really appreciate if someone gave me a hint on how to use these commands, or maybe how to solve my problem in another way.

Thanks in advance.

-Sebastian