Re: GNU Octave and GPU computing by Ocelot

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GNU Octave and GPU computing by Ocelot
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:41:55 -0500

2012/1/29 Thomas Weber <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:52:19AM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> 2012/1/27 Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>:
>> > I was obviously only referring to the binding source code. AFAIK,
>> > Riccardo is free to distribute sources for the octave bindings to
>> > Ocelot without any restriction.
>>
>> "User does the link" is also troublesome:
>>
>>     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
>
> He is distributing source. Nothing prevents him from doing this under
> GPL. If this was a problem, no one would have been allowed to build
> and link Octave against GotoBlas, for example.

We should be working on getting free GPU computing. Figuring out ways
to get around the GPL, whether valid or not, is misguided.

For example, this project seems promising:

    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/clover

I think a better use of our time is figuring out what can we do to support that.

- Jordi G. H.