Re: Package installation issues

From: mmesser314
Subject: Re: Package installation issues
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:43:45 -0800 (PST)

I just installed Octave on Windows Vista. I have a few comments.

---
The installation instructions on the
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave_Windows%20-%20MinGW/Octave%203.4.3%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20Installer/
Ocatve download page for Windows  could use a few clarifications.

For Windows, my choices are to install all packages or none. The
installation instructions do not tell me that some packages change the way
Octave works, and I should think before installing all of them.

It is not obvious that installing all packages will cause warnings when
Octave starts up. It is not obvious that these warnings can be ignored.

It is not obvious that Octave was developed on Linux systems, and may need
tuning to run as expected on Windows.

Some of these points are addressed at
http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_Windows Octave for
Windows . A link would be nice. Other points are addressed here. Some of
this discussion could be added to the installation instructions.

---
This warning has a trivial fix.

warning:
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\packages\integration-1.0.7\PKG_ADD:
 possible Matlab-style short-circuit operator at line 9, column 32

Line 9 is an if statement that can be broken into two statements.

if (!exist ("meshgrid","file") & exist ("meshdom","file"))
   dispatch("meshgrid","meshdom","any")
end