Re: Parallel Computing MATLAB vs Octave

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Parallel Computing MATLAB vs Octave
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 02:10:29 -0800 (PST)

yashar mehmani wrote

> <snip>
> 2) Also for the developers out there, I just wanted to note that
> "textscan"
> does not work exactly the way it does in MATLAB. Particularly if you want
> to read a file with say two matrices in it separated by a text (string)
> and
> you type:
>
> textscan(fid,'%f %f %f %f %f %f')
>
> to read the chart, it freking skips over the text and gobbles all the
> numbers up, and reaches the end of the file. Help/Remedy/Alternative
> Suggestions would be appreciated ;)

If you encounter issues or bugs, it is vital to inform us of the version of
Octave are you talking about.
In addition, without a complete case showing how and when the issue(s)
occur(s) developers often have too little information - we are all
volunteers and can't (and probably won't) spend time guessing what you
exactly mean. There is a bug tracker you could search first - big chance
someone already reported your problem earlier on. In fact, what you write
about does sound somewhat familiar to me.....

As to textscan, recently (in the 3.5.91 development snapshot) much improved
textread/textscan/strread versions have been introduced (which had been in
the development branch since about last summer). They'll be included in the
upcoming 3.6 version.

Philip