Re: octave snow leopard

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: octave snow leopard
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:24:00 -0500

On Dec 31, 2011, at 7:47 AM, yuejun yin wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2011, at 4:44 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Dec 28, 2011, at 11:17 PM, yuejun yin wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I installed octave 3.4.0 on snow leopard. Then I run:
>>>
>>>     x = 1;
>>>     y = 1;
>>>     plot(x,y)
>>>
>>> no plot comes out. AquaTerm popped out but no image window. what 's wrong?
>>> thanks a lot. I followed the process in this link, except step 4 (about
>>> environment variable).
>>>
>>> http://www.island94.org/2007/09/setting-up-octave-and-gnuplot-on-osx/
>>>
>>> two images on this case are attached.
>>
>> My guess is that your gnuplot isnt' working correctly.
>>
>> Try ...
>>
>> (1) Open a terminal window and type "gnuplot"
>>
>> (2) If gnuplot runs, then type "plot sin(x)"
>>
>> Does that work?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ok. Now. I installed gnuplot and tested sin(x). it works. However, the plot
> in octave still does not work. The aqua term is turned on by the plot
> command. but no image comes out.

Can you tell me where your gnuplot is ? and what you did to allow the command
"gnuplot" to work correctly from the Terminal.

Next, a few checks to make sure that Octave is recognizing the correct gnuplot.
From Octave's prompt type ...

getenv ("GNUTERM")
ans = aqua

gnuplot_binary
ans = gnuplot

system "which gnuplot"
/opt/local/bin/gnuplot

__gnuplot_version__
ans = 4.4.4

I'd be surprised if the first two don't give the same answers, but please
confirm.

"which gnuplot" will tell you were Octave thinks the gnuplot binary is located
and the last will tell you the version of gnuplot that Octave sees. Please
confirm these correspond to the same gnuplot which runs from the Terminal.

Finally, it is possible something is wrong with how gnuplot is communicating
with Aquaterm, or something is wrong with your Aquaterm. Try ...

setenv GNUTERM x11
close all
plot (0:10)

This will ask gnuplot to use X Windows for plotting. Does this open the X11
application and produce a plot ?

Ben