Re: Fw: Re: msys from octave

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: msys from octave
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:44:27 +0000

On 26 December 2011 09:12, nitnit <address@hidden> wrote:

> Matt Flax wrote
>>
>> Yes - thanks for the suggestion - I tried this previously ... this is
>> the result :
>>
>> $ pi.sh
>>
>> This is a post install process that will try to normalize between
>> your MinGW install if any as well as your previous MSYS installs
>> if any.  I don't have any traps as aborts will not hurt anything.
>> Do you wish to continue with the post install? [yn ] y
>> mkdir: cannot create directory `/home': No such file or directory
>> cp: cannot create regular file `/home/_/.inputrc': No such file or
>> directory
>> /etc/profile: line 59: cd: /home/_: Not a directory
>>

> I am not sure that the msys+mingw subdirs included with the octave 7z
> archive are properly set and configured for full msys functionality. I have
> constructed these subdirs from Tatsuros archives, and adjusted the
> environment to support basic mkoctfile functionality from within octave.
>
> I suggest that if you wish to use wider functionality, you will install and
> properly configure msys and mingw on your system, and adjust the env. vars
> which are set by ocraverc to use your installed msys and mingw instead of
> these provided by the 7z archive.

I just managed to clear that problem by doing the following.

C:\Users\andy>cd C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\msys
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\msys>set HOME=%homepath%
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\msys>msys.bat

You could set HOME permanently as a windows environment variable. I
used the installer (which is just a straight self-extracting exe based
on Tatsuro and Nitzan's work)

I am working on a new README for the octave-forge download page.

festive good wishes, Andy

--
/* andy buckle */