Re: octave-3.4.3+gcc46 on OS X 10.4/powerpc, test hangs in bsxfun

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave-3.4.3+gcc46 on OS X 10.4/powerpc, test hangs in bsxfun
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:10:10 -0500

On 30 November 2011 14:44, David Fang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello octavians,
>
> Recently, I've been trying to port octave-3.4.3 for OS X 10.4/powerpc in
> fink, and have encountered hanging in the test suite.
> I initially tried the system compiler (g++-4.0.1) but encountered
> the following issue: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30685

That compiler is kind of ancient. The bsxfun code does a lot of
optimisation tricks, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some old
bug in gcc is producing this.

Sadly, you can't easily update gcc because Apple won't help you, since
they are trying to forbid the dissemination of GPLv3, which is the
free license that newer gccs use. I believe you can install a newer
gcc through the more free channels, like homebrew and fink.

Please let me know if you have success installing a more recent gcc
and if the problem persists with it.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.