Fwd: Re: Numerical Differentiation and Integration of Array Data

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Fwd: Re: Numerical Differentiation and Integration of Array Data
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 23:30:29 +0100

Am 07.12.2011 23:11, schrieb syberraith:
> It was my impression from the first few lines of the Octave manual entry for
> anonymous functions that they would have access to variables defined in the
> next higher scope:

They have! What you create by using free variables in an anonymous
function which are defined in the next higher lexical scope is strictly
speaking a closure.
I use that often.

octave:1> a =2; b=3;
octave:2> f = @(x) a*x+b;
octave:3> f(3)
ans =  9
octave:4> a = 10;
octave:5> f(3)
ans =  9

changing the free variable later has no effect to the closure, the closed
over variables still have the value within the anonymous function they
originally had at the time of definition.