Re: Prompt line number

From: pathematica
Subject: Re: Prompt line number
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:43:59 -0800 (PST)

You can change the prompt and remove the line numbers, if you wanted to do
that for some reason.

You need the command:

PS1('What you put here becomes the prompt')

This might be illustrated in the following lines. For each case, I have made
the change then pressed return once to see the new prompt without a command.
Note the requirement for quotation marks, and for the need to insert spaces
or other characters, such as the >, if required (I forgot with one of the
changes so that the prompt collided with the command, which is obviously not
very sensible).

octave:1> PS1('>')

>PS1('Octave rules')
Octave rules
Octave rulesPS1('Octave rules>')
Octave rules>
Octave rules>PS1('Octave rules >')
Octave rules >
Octave rules >PS1('>>')

-----
However good you think Octave is, it's much, much better.