Re: weighted residuals are not real

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: weighted residuals are not real
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:31:17 +0100

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:43:59AM -0500, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Preeti Gaikwad wrote:
>
> > now to solve this problem and to get best fit I want to remove some points
> > from x and y like from x i want to remove bad points
> > 1.44 1.64 1.71 1.84 1.87 1.95 2.17
> >
> > total 7 points and same the colum from y
> > then u see I am getting this error......thanks a lot for ur help and work
>
> Ok. I see the error now. I'm not familiar with the leasqr.m code, but from
> what I infer it looks like a bug.
>
>       http://octave.sourceforge.net/bugs.html
>
> I've attached an archive with all the files needed  to reproduce the error
> with run.
>
> Ben

Thanks for preparing this, but why do you think it is a bug? The error happens
when
leasqr tries the parameters [3.79885888315165; 2.53178132967943], which are
inside
the bounds. The users model function returns non-real residuals for these
parameters,
and this is reported with an error. I can't see a bug. Am I missing something?

Olaf