How can I make Octave and Gnuplot work in Leopard?

From: alex_dlc
Subject: How can I make Octave and Gnuplot work in Leopard?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:57:38 -0700 (PDT)

(If anyone has Gnuplot working on a Mac please let me know)

Im using a Macbook with OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard). I already had X11 installed. I
installed Octave v3.4.0 and it seems to be working fine. Then I also
installed gnuplot v4.4.3 (I simply put both Octave.app and gnuplot.app in
the Applications folder.)

I didnt think there would be any problem, since Octave seemed to be working
fine. However, any time i try to use hist(x) or plot(x) or any other
plotting function, Octave shows a bunch of errors and it crashes. (Ill post
an image of the errors I get when trying to plot something)

The error seems to be something about the libreries:
/Reason: Incompatible library version: libgd.2.dylib requires version 6.0.0
or later, but libfontconfig.1.dylib provides version 5.0.0
/
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n3947084/sdvn.png

I also noticed that if I try to run gnuplot.app by doubleclicking on it, I
get another bunch of errors and it crashes. (even if Octave is running or
not)

After searching for a while I found a "Note for Snow Leopard Users" which
claims to also apply to Leopard 10.5.8 users. This note esplains how to fix
some errors in both octave.app and gnuplot.app, however, after doing
everything the note says, I still get the same errors when trying to plot
anything.

This is the note I found:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files//Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2009-10-03%20binary%20of%20Octave%203.2.3/README_OSX1065.txt/view

I dont know what else to do, I need to get Octave working asap. As far as I
know, installing octave and gnuplot on a Windows PC works well without
problems. So if both 10.5.8 Leopard and 10.6.5 Snow Leopard have issues with
gnuplot, who wouldnt encounter problems with them? Who, if any, could
install octave and gnuplot and use them to plot stuff without getting
errors?