Windows binary

From: Loris
Subject: Windows binary
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

        I tried octave 3.4.2 for windows (mingw), but I cannot make it
running properly..

Any idea when 3.4.3 will be available?

I understand that is not a trivial task to make it working, however, I would
suggest to create a package like is available for 4.2.4.

I also see that there is a discussion about the windows binary. About that,
I'm sorry I've no time now to help in the development (I could help in
testing, maybe).

I want however point out how, if you are interested in spreading the octave
word, for my experience you "must" make available the windows version.
Probably 90% of professional users that could be interested in octave run on
windows.
And professional users cannot spend days browsing the web to find a way to
make a program running.

I see one of the problem is about the foundings, I think that it could be
not a problem for many professional to pay a reasonable fee to have a
product like octave. Of course, it cannot be at the price level of Matlab,
since the support, the reliability and the performance are quite different.
Only problem, the donation scheme could be hard to manage from the purchase
office, I would suggest to "sell" the windows installer.

I think you should find many customers.

Loris.