Re: Can we convert .mfile to .hex file using octave?

From: Balogh Richard, Ing.
Subject: Re: Can we convert .mfile to .hex file using octave?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:53:23 +0200

Hi,

Can we convert .mfile to .hex file using octave?

No.

This is principally difficult problem. From Your question
it seems You are not familiar with an embedded systems
- otherwise You would know that such question has no sense.

At least, You didn't mention target platform :)

There are dozens of processors of various producers and
each of them requires totally different approach. This means
that even You have an appropriate C-code, You still need
different compiler for each processor family to produce
an appropriate .hex file. Even the Matlab solution isn't
as straightforward as it can seem. You still need to understand
details of Your target platform (e.g. how ADC conversion
is performed, how the communication interface is organized,
how to organize timing, interrupts etc.)

Generally, You will need the hardware abstraction layer
for Your specific target and then You can transfer the
C-code.

This is even more specific when eventually converting m-file
to an appropriate C-code. Your target platform may or may not
contain a floating point unit. You need to implement all the
math stuff before implementing an algorithm.

An advice?

Test Your algorithm as much as possible within Octave and then
reimplement it to Your platform. Matlab coder is not a magic wand...

 Richard Balogh