Re: xlswrite , io package and octave 3.2.4

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: xlswrite , io package and octave 3.2.4
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 12:10:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

First of all, this thread belongs in the OctDev ML as the Java pkg is an
Octave-Forge package:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=octave-dev

Mathematician wrote:

> Philip Nienhuis <pr.nienhuis <at> hccnet.nl> writes:
>
>> First of all, you'll also have to download & install the Java package
>> (currently at 1.2.7 although 1.2.8 is ready for release) - this is vital
>> for
>> spreadsheet I/O support. Inside the java-.tar.gz file there's a nice .pdf
>> manual in the /doc subdir, please read it, it'll save you a lot of
>> problems.
>> In a nutshell, you'll need to have a Java SDK installed (not just a JRE)
>> be able to get the Java package compiled. Once you got a SDK, you'd need
>> specify the JAVA_HOME environment setting to point to the JVM (inside
>> Octave, do:  setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "/path/to/java/jvm") ). On Linux it is
>> usually somewhere in /usr/lib/jvm/....  When that's ready do   pkg
>> install
>> -verbose -auto java-.tar.gz   (+ keep fingers crossed)
>
> Hi Philip,
>
> I'm having trouble getting the Java 1.2.8 package installed...
>
> *) I'm running Octave 3.4.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (installed via .dmg).
> *) I'm sure I have Mac JRE 1.6 and JDK 1.6 (checked using command "ls -la
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/")

Nor the Java package maintainer (Michael Goffioul) nor his humble ad-hoc
assistants (Martin Hepperle and I) were able to test on Mac OSX (or any
other Mac OS).
Lack of HW, lack of testers, ....

Nevertheless, I'd love to know how to get the Java Package to run on OSX.

> *) When I run "pkg install -verbose -auto java-.tar.gz" I get the
> following
> output, which tells me JDK is not "there" (note the line that says
> "Java Development Kit not found" at the bottom):
> <snip>
> :
>    java:        Java Development Kit not found

On the OctDev ML, there is a recent thread on exactly this subject:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=loom.20110818T013445-856%40post.gmane.org&forum_name=octave-dev

> What is a humble man to do in this case?

I'm sorry to say, but debugging it may be needed.
But see the thread in the OctDev ML - please report your findings there.

Philip