suggestion for matlab guide replacement

From: hatepod
Subject: suggestion for matlab guide replacement
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 18:25:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I need to use octave for a project previously developed on Matlab. All the
core .m files of the project are perfectly compatible with octave. However,
the project uses a small interface designed with matlab GUIDE. It is a very
functionless interface (gui). It lets user specify some parameter values and
then call another .m file passing these values as arguments.

What do you suggest me to use to develop similar interface for the octave
version? (I am not talking about an octave frontend. I just need a
functional Matlab GUIDE replacement).

Does anyone have a similar past experience? Should I use something like Qt.
Is there anyway to implement a progress bar with an such an external
interface (basically the m-files take more than an hour to process, that is
why something like a progress bar is essential for me). I also need to be
able to interrupt the processing of octave whenever needed from this
external interface.

Would you please advise me about the simplest solution for such a situation.