Re: building Octave-3.4.2 on RedHat-5, the problem

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: building Octave-3.4.2 on RedHat-5, the problem
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 09:14:13 +1000

Hullo Albert,
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 02:20:02 +1000, albert <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Terry,

Thank you for reply.
Unfortunately, building RPM file is too complicated way for me.
For example, I do not know how to create SPEC file and, to my knowledge, it
is not an easy execise.

It's actually easier than you think. You could download Octave 3.4 src.rpm from the Fedora site which will give you the .spec file, or you might even find a later version in Fedora's rawhide or testing repositories. I have attached the octave-3.4 spec file that I used to build on Fedora 14. If you want to try to use this, put your source archive (tar.gz or tar.bz2) in the SOURCES dir, edit the .spec file to reflect the version, edit the changelog, edit source0: to reflect your source and put the new .spec file in your SPECS dir, then away you go. I would recommend attempting a build within a Fedora 15 environment first, as that will go quite quickly, if OK then build in mock for RHEL. It's worth the effort to learn this business even if you only build a few Fedora/Centos/RHEL packages once in a while.
Let me know if you want any other help...if you want to try.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell