Octave and Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

From: clustro
Subject: Octave and Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I tried doing this operation as a test:

3*4/2*2

Following PEMDAS (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally), I should get:

3*4 = 12

2*2 = 4

12/4 = 3

But instead, I get 12, because apparently octave is doing 4/2 first, and
then multiplication.

What on earth is octave doing? Apparently, I am not the only person who
thought Octave used PEMDAS (http://tinyurl.com/3rfsk9g, last page). What
order of operations is octave using?

This might seem like such a slight matter but there is a bunch of code I
have to go back and fix now because of this, and I just want to make sure I
know the correct priority of the operations to save myself having to do it
all over again.

Thanks,

-Brad Ridder