Re: Problems with scatter3...mostly solved

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: Problems with scatter3...mostly solved
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 15:58:32 +1000

Hullo Dmitri,
On Fri, 13 May 2011 15:22:03 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

I presume you meant that you manged to install octave-3.4 rpm from the upcoming Fedora 15.

No. Sorry I wasn't as clear as I could have been.
I rebuilt the a 3.4 rpm from the 3.4.fc15...src.rpm

[snip]

I would suggest download the octave-forge packages directly from the
http://octave.sourceforge.net/ and installed them as described on
that page. Note,  this require having octave-devel rpm installed,
which might be problematic as well.

So my recommended procedure would be the following:

* recompile it with "rpmbuild --rebuild octave-3.4.0-6.fc15.src.rpm"

Yes, done that.

* install the resulting octave-3.4 and octave-devel rpms.

Yes, done that.

* download and installed octave-forge package by using "pkg install
..." mechanism (rather than rpms)
That works for me.

Thanks for that advice. I should have waited!
I have managed to install the octave-forge rpm using 'rpm -i --nodeps...', but it left me with a lot of warnings from octave about functions in /usr/share/octave/packages/... that shadow core library functions. The only reasonable solution I could see for that was to go in and rename each of those functions to xxxx.m.old. The implications of installing octave-forge via rpm, or via packages as you suggest, with octave-3.4 is that there will be some incompatibility.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
--
Regards,