Re: fields not found in struct becaus e of 'µ' (micro) symbol in field n

From: kloof
Subject: Re: fields not found in struct becaus e of 'µ' (micro) symbol in field name
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 02:25:08 -0700 (PDT)

In 2006 there was a discussion on "Accepting arbitrary strings as structure
field names":
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2006-November/005040.html

but this does not concern 'composed' characters like 'µ', I think, but
standard ascii symbols like '#', which are represented as 1 instead of 2
ascii integers.

Below I have a string hdr{27} that contains a 'µ' symbol.

octave:4> hdr{27}
ans = Delay M2 [µs]     0

octave:5> toascii ("#")
ans =  35
octave:6> toascii ("µ")
ans =

   66   53

octave:7> toascii (hdr{27})
ans =

 Columns 1 through 13:

    68   101   108    97   121    32    77    50    32    91    53   115
93

 Columns 14 and 15:

     9    48

octave:8>

Again: on command line nr 6, I have pasted the 'µ' symbol using the mouse.
The code [66 53] does not appear in the translation of the string hdr{27}.

This means I cannot even replace or remove such characters in Octave, right?
How can I tackle this problem?