Re: Linking to external static (!) library

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Linking to external static (!) library
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:46:27 -0400

On 04/20/2011 03:52 PM, TOT wrote:
Thank you, John.

I tried to use scripts - but I'm failed - it does compiles some part of the
library, but most of it were not compiled at all. I tried to automate the
process: catching the errors and recompile all again - but it was to
difficult.

To be honest I have a simple program which does something like a bridge
between my library and octave - but it's not enough. There are too many
cases of input data and too many options for output from my library - I
cannot handle all of them. The program already has about 400 lines - it's
too many for a simple thing.

As far as I understood - it's the only possible solution for me. That is
kinda sad.

If any one has any other ideas about please feel free to write me!

I would like to encourage you to keep trying and not give up. It may look confusing but you have a finite set of compilation units, so if you keep eliminating the problems one by one you will get the shiny new library which in all likelihood run faster because recent compilers tend to generate faster code.

If the input data is varied and complex, writing shims is probably more trouble than just figuring out the compilation.

If the make/build process is really too difficult to handle, one simple but inelegant way of handling the compilation would be to start from a clean slate, run the compile in the old/incorrect way while capturing all the compilation commands, and then edit them to add options you need (-fPIC) and run the result as a fixed shell script.