Re: using xlswrite csvwrite

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: using xlswrite csvwrite
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:42:42 -0700 (PDT)

senator wrote:

> Hey,
> I cant find some of the messages that were on this site Friday, I think
> the site was down and some must have got deleted. There was a message
> where someone described what I needed to download to be able to use
> xlsread and xlswrite.  I need to uninstall and then reinstall octave with
> java,io package, windows and maybe something else... There was a very
> detailed message describing even what java packages i need to install in
> order to use xls read and write.

Perhaps you mean this one?
  https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2011-March/045199.html

As far as we could understand, you most probably need to install a Java JRE.
Get one here:
  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

In message
  https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2011-April/045230.html
I referred to problems with ActiveX on Windows 7 that have been reported
last year and that look similar to your problems.
Do you run Windows 7? (you didn't tell us your Windows version yet)

Please read on...

> I need to be able to write and read csv files and csv write and read do
> work great for me as long as I dont write any text to the file.   I would
> like to be able to find a way to put a field column on the top of my data
> in a csv file. It works great writing the data to a csv file, but i want
> to be able to write the field row on the top row in text. In matlab it
> works by doing  2 seperate csv writes (one for data and one for text). I
> dont know if that would work however because octave seems to erase
> everything else in a file before it writes.
>
> I dont know if xlswrite will let me write to a csv file, but if it does
> getting xlswrite to work could solve my problem.
>
> thanks

Do you need csv files or xls files?

Bill Krekeler suggested to write a csvwrite-like script enabling mixed
text/numeric I/O. I've produced a first draft, but it isn't quite as easy as
I hoped.

Somewhat inspired by your xlswrite woes, I have polished a script I had
lying around for checking, debugging and setting up the environment needed
for spreadsheet I/O in Octave (and Matlab, as my colleagues needed good
spreadsheet I/O support on their Macs so I ported the lot to ML a while
ago).

A few days ago I've uploaded a first draft to octave-forge svn; I'll try to
attach a more recent version to this message (I'm posting tru Nabble so
hopefully that works out OK):
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n3431757/chk_spreadsheet_support.m
chk_spreadsheet_support.m

Just run it from within Octave using
   chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
and tell us what output it gave.

(FYI, '' (2 quotes! not a double quote) = an empty string (actually path to
Java class libs needed for spreadsheet I/O, but that is not relevant yet), 3
is the (maximum) debug output level.)

Good luck,

Philip