octave mfile

From: senator
Subject: octave mfile
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

im pretty new to octave as you will see from my question, but I have used
matlab for 2 years.
IS there a way to upgrade the mfile I am using (notepad text file). I have
trouble debugging because the m file does not even have a number line down
the left side of the mfile.

is there a way to get a number line down the left hand column of the mfile,
so i know what line I am on in the file?

is there a way to get more descriptive debugging instrucions... so far
octave just tell me that for an example line 9 has a problem, but is not
more specific.

Thank you, sorry for novice questions..I worked on Octave for over 9 hours
today and am suffering from that frustration that comes with any new
languge.

Jonathan