Fwd: Feature enhancement/matlab compatability

From: david . shih
Subject: Fwd: Feature enhancement/matlab compatability
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:04:34 -0500

----- Forwarded message from address@hidden -----
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:25:54 -0500
    From: address@hidden
 Subject: Feature enhancement/matlab compatability
      To: address@hidden

Hi,

I recently started using octave, because I am now convinced that the
unpredictable segmentation fault in my C++ program calling Matlab
scripts is due to linking to Matlab libraries, and there is nothing I
can do about it...
My .m scripts ran using Octave for the most part, except I use the
setfield function.

In Matlab, the setfield function allows the penultimate argument to be
used for array slicing s.t. multiple cells can be set at once.
For example,

a.b = 'b'

a =

     b: 'b'

setfield(a, 'a', {1:5}, 10)

ans =

     b: 'b'
     a: [10 10 10 10 10]

In Octave, using {1:5} for array slicing generates an error to the effect of:

obj.field(1 2 3 4 5)
syntax error

I modified the setfield.m script s.t. setfield can use the penultimate
argument for array slicing. See attached.
It passes both tests found in the original script file.

Regards,
David Shih
Graduate Student, University of Toronto