Re: x = Z\z

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: x = Z\z
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 01:04:52 +0100

Am Freitag, 7. Januar 2011, 00:56:05 schrieb Martin Helm:

> Ocatve \ operator also solves under- and overdetermined  systems in the
> minimum norm and least squares sense respectively. that is the reason why
> this works. it is not an error.

Just to try to answer your question about the difference to matlab, I have no
matlab, but looked into the documentation which states

"A solution X is computed that has at most k nonzero components per column. If
k < n, this is usually not the same solution as pinv(A)*B, which is the least
squares solution with the smallest norm ."

Which answers why you see a difference since octave calculates the solution
with the smallest norm and hence is not compatible to matlab in this case (but
not wrong in a mthematical sense).