Re: Octave won't plot from script file

From: Glen Shennan
Subject: Re: Octave won't plot from script file
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 13:42:49 +1100

Wow, thanks for that!  I've tried that pause command many times but I've seen it everywhere quoted as "pause -l".  I knew it would be something simple like this.  Thanks for the help!

And yes, you're right about the "script.m" bit, should just be "script".  My mistake.  :)

On 2 January 2011 13:29, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Jan 1, 2011, at 9:05 PM, Glen Shennan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run script files which aim to produce plots using Octave with the plot() function.  When I run the files using QtOctave the plot appears fine, as it does when I run octave from a terminal then invoke the script from the Octave prompt.
>
> So
>
> ~$ octave
> octave:1> script.m
>
> does work but
>
> ~$ octave script.m
>
> does not.  I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 with Octave 3.2.4 and GNUPlot 4.4.  I've been searching for hours and I keep seeing problems which look similar to this and I've tried many fixes ("set terminal x11 -persist" in .gnuplot etc.) but nothing I've done has produced any change in behaviour at all.  Is there anything I've missed?
>
> Thanks, and a happy new year to you all!

Are you sure you have that correct. Your example below will give an error.

       octave:1> script.m
       script.m
       error: `script' undefined near line 8 column 1

Octave will interpret "script" to be a structure and "m" to be a field on that structure.

To run your script from a shell, you can add an option to allow octave to go interactive after running your script.

       $ octave --persist script.m

Or you can add "pause()" to the script. The plot window will then stay open until after you hit <return>

Ben