Re: relocating octave and PKG_ADD problems.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: relocating octave and PKG_ADD problems.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:33:13 -0500

On 21-Dec-2010, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:

| I am sure this would work.
|
| My problem is that I'm trying to install Octave to 40+ different
| locations, and for each one there is a different prefix.

Why a separate prefix for each system?  Can't you get some help from
your sysadmins so that the location can be the same on each?

If you really must use a separate location for each install, then you
build with a different prefix for each system, or you can set
OCTAVE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately before running Octave.

| (but I'd *really* rather not), then I can probably tar the install
| directory after compiling and re-run ./configure and "make install ...".
|
| My challenge is that I don't have ssh access to the machines where
| Octave is being installed (distributed batch/cluster system), I don't
| know if there are build tools available on the worker nodes in the
| various clusters, and I don't know how long it takes to build Octave --
| possibly longer than my maximum queue time on each node.

You don't have to compile Octave on the system where it will be
installed just to set --prefix.  You can do that all on one system.
Doing the following on my system

  ./configure --prefix=/prefix-1
  make
  make install DESTDIR=/tmp
  ./configure --prefix=/prefix-2
  make
  make install DESTDIR=/tmp

works, but takes a while because you unfortunatley have to rebuild a
lot of things.  Well, the build system wasn't really designed for
this...

| So my question is "why can't I just copy the files?"  Why does the
| original installation path need to get hard coded into the files?

You can just copy the files, but you have to set OCTAVE_HOME and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the environment prior to starting Octave, otherwise
Octave has no idea where to find its files.  As I said in my previous
mail, that appears to work correctly for me.

jwe