Re: how to compute the surface defined by a given contour?

From: Moo
Subject: Re: how to compute the surface defined by a given contour?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:15:02 -0700

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Rui Maciel <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12/10/2010 02:29 PM, trophime wrote:
> Now I would like to get the surface (in the (X,Y) plane) defined by this
> contour?
> Is it possible to compute the gravity point of the contour?
This isn't an Octave issue per se.  You can get the surface defined by
your contour by integrating that surface and you get the "gravity point"
of your contour by calculating the 1st moment of area of your surface.
As Octave is designed to perform numerical computations and isn't a
computer algebra system, I don't believe that it provides a routine to
handle that.

Well, it still does numerical integration.  You can figure out the integrals on paper, then try to implement that using Octave's dblquad() function (for a double integral).  Your region probably isn't rectangular, so you'll have to go through some hassle to basically set your function = 0 outside the true region you want to integrate.  It's a pain, but doable.  Someone else probably knows more.