Re: octave and oo

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave and oo
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:22:03 -0600

On 14 November 2010 13:32, Ernst Reissner <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/14/2010 07:34 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 14-Nov-2010, Ernst Reissner wrote:

>> | Suggestion:
>> | The example is from site
>> |
>> | http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_oop/f3-28024.html
>> |

>> | and I think it would be best to rework this site so that the examples
>> | work as described.
>>
>> If you are saying that you think the examples on the web page should
>> be changed, then I don't see how any of us here can help with that
>> suggestion...
>>
> hm,... the example on the web describes another kind of constructor as
> you did.
> So i thought, there is a mistake on the web and so i suggested to change
> the documentation.

I think you misunderstand the relationship between Octave and Matlab
and between GNU and the Mathworks.

In general, Octave developers are trying to provide an alternative to
Matlab for various reasons, but most of all because Matlab appears to
be too restrictive, and its license manager is particularly insulting
(software whose sole purpose is to prevent you from using other
software, yuck).

GNU Octave developers do not have control over what the Mathworks
writes in its documentation nor what modifications the Mathworks does
to Matlab, and you are right now speaking in the Octave mailing list,
not the Mathworks' site.

> I am really a newbie in matlab/octave and hope i did not make
> nonsense..

No harm done. Welcome. :-)

- Jordi G. H.