Re: Octave 3.2.4 Plot command issues

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Octave 3.2.4 Plot command issues
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:04:53 +0100

>I have used Octave for over 6 years now in my Numerical Methods class
>and love it. My students enjoy it as well. But lately, I have had
>trouble generating plots using a simple plot(x,y) command.

Could you post an example instruction that fails for you and can you
describe how it fails?  It is difficult to give any opinion without
these data.

>Instead it prefer that I use line(x,y) command.

Drawing a plot using line() commands is a lot of work.  Is that really
what you are doing?

>                                     The trouble is that if I use
>line(x,y), it won't let me conrol any of the trace properties such as
>"linewidth", "color" etc.

Have you tried to specify the properties in the line command?

 -- Function File:  line ()
 -- Function File:  line (X, Y)
 -- Function File:  line (X, Y, Z)
 -- Function File:  line (X, Y, Z, PROPERTY, VALUE, ...)
     Create line object from X and Y and insert in current axes object.
     Return a handle (or vector of handles) to the line objects created.

     Multiple property-value pairs may be specified for the line, but
     they must appear in pairs.

>                          And what is more more intriguing is that
>these errors happen on both my laptop and e-machine - both of which run
>Windows7. My Office PC which runs WindowsXP has no such issues. Is this
>a platform related problem?

Well, if the same commands work on a platform and do not work on the
other, yes it is a platform-related issue by definition :)

Unfortunately I cannot help you here, as I have no experience with
Windows.  However, you can try to have a look at the mail archives and
look for Windows 7 discussions.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040