Matlab surf() function

From: OCuanachain, Oisin (Oisin)
Subject: Matlab surf() function
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:31:24 +0100

Hi,

This is strictly a Matlab question, but poeple on this list seem to be knowledgable about Matlab and I presume the same behaviour would be observed in the Octave surf() so here goes; I'm using the surf() function to plot a matrix of data vs. two vectors (eg heigth (matrix) vs. length(vect), width(vect)). My problem is that my data set is not complete, ie the height matrix has a number of entries that are NaN. This generally okay as the function still plots the data EXCEPT for the case where there are isolated points eg a data value surrounded by 9 NaNs, as the surf function seems to work by displaying 'tiles' with four data points in the matrix acting as a vertix of each tile if a point is surrouned by NaNs then it is invisible. So I am wondering if there is some porperty I can set in the surf function so that it will plot markers at each of the vertices of the tiles instead of just the tiles, in that way the isolated data points would also be visible. Does anyone know if this is possible?

for example

x = 1:10
y = 1:5
z = ones(5,10);
figure
surf(x,y,z)

This plots a plane at amplitude 1 as intended.

BUT

x = 1:10
y = 1:5
z = [ones(5,3) ones(5,1)*NaN ones(5,1) ones(5,1)*NaN ones(5,4)];
figure
surf(x,y,z)

Here the central line of isolated ones are not visible,

Any ideas ?

Thanks,