Re: textscan wanted

From: Dr. Johannes Zellner
Subject: Re: textscan wanted
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 07:39:31 +0200

Ben,

thanks for the quick response.
It would be more useful, if it would also allow the input parameter N.

regards,

--
Johannes

2010/10/20 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
On Oct 20, 2010, at 4:53 AM, Dr. Johannes Zellner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've a bunch of matlab files which use textscan.
>
> I don't want to replace all textscan calls with something like fscanf but I'd rather like to have an octave function which implements textscan().
>
> Does anyone have a textscan implementation?
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Johannes.

I've opened a ticket in the bug tracker.

For now, have you looked at using textread() instead? Unfortunately, textread() is not fully compatible with the ML version.

The syntax for ML's textscan is ...

C = textscan (fid, 'format')
C = textscan (fid, 'format', N)
C = textscan (fid, 'format', 'param', value)
C = textscan (fid, 'format', N, 'param', value)
C = textscan (str, ...)
[C, position] = textscan (...)

If you don't require the input "N", it should be straight forward to modify scantext() to implement textscan(). A quick fix would support the limited syntax below.

C = textscan (fid, 'format')
C = textscan (fid, 'format', 'param', value)
C = textscan (str, ...)

Would that be useful to you?

Ben