Octave 3.2.4 for windows: MSYS old / system path

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: Octave 3.2.4 for windows: MSYS old / system path
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:01:55 +0200

Hello,

what I see on my Win XP system running 3.2.4 is that the path during
system() calls is extended with leading octave directories including the
standard unix tools in MSYS.
While this is probably a good idea within a generic win environment, it
results in issues in my environment as we have the GNU utilities installed
in our default system configuration as well.
Unfortunately, some tools in the MSYS set seem to be quite old (e.g. sed),
so I get compatibility issues with the generic GNU util installation (which
e.g. batch files find first outside octave) and the old MSYS version (found
from an octave system() call).

This results in 2 questions:
1) is it (easily) possible to change the path / environment for the system
call to disable the added path?
2) is it (easily) possible to update the MSYS tools within the octave
installation?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Rolf