Matlab to Octave - precision and differential equations

From: R.S. Etienne
Subject: Matlab to Octave - precision and differential equations
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:59:33 +0200

Dear users,

I have a Matlab code which has problems with the double precision limitation of Matlab. I am therefore looking for alternatives, particularly those where I don't have to change my code too much, and therefore I stumbled upon Octave. Before installing it, I would like to know whether Octave has this double precision limitation, or not. Can someone please tell me? If it does not have this limitation, then can Octave handle ordinary differential equations? I am using Matlab's ode45; is there an Octave equivalent, preferably one where the Jacobian does not need to be specified?

Kind regards,

Rampal Etienne

--

Rampal S. Etienne, PhD.
Community and Conservation Ecology Group