Re: Implementing missing toolbox/package functions

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Implementing missing toolbox/package functions
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 23:37:42 +0200

Svante Signell wrote:
On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 16:48 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Sep 23, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Svante Signell wrote:

Hi,

I am writing some code for communications applications for research
purposes and found that e.g. root-raised-cosine functions (rcosine,
rcosfir, rcosiir, etc) are missing from the octave-communications
package. Are there code rules and template code available somewhere, in
case I want to contribute by writing some of the missing functions (to
start with as .m functions).

BTW: I found a list of missing package functions at:
http://www.denney.ws/octave/3.0.1/Communications.html
Is there an updated list somewhere?

Svante
Octave's packages are available from SourceForge. The link to the
communications package is below

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/communications/index.html

Thanks for the link. I will contact the package author. My question was
also about the different sections of a function:
I'm nominally the packages author, though many people have contributed code to this package. I didn't need the raised cosine function as I was working with OFDM systems rather than CDMA systems at the time.

## Copyright and license stuff
## -*- texinfo -*-
help stuff in texinfo!?

# release history

function y = f(x);
argument checking
# test stuff
%!error f ()
%! assert ()

etc.

Are there any general guidelines written down? Or is it the study of
source code that counts?
There is a coding guide for Octave in general at

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines

but for the raised cosine functions, I'd say its also important to respect as much as possible the interface defined by matlab

D.