Identifying a line (among >50) on a plot

From: Plausible
Subject: Identifying a line (among >50) on a plot
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 03:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am using QtOctave which seems to use gnuplot 4.4.0. I am plotting 2D plots
that contain a lot of (>50) lines to visually inspect the time evolution of
many variables, particularly to single out those that behave curiously.

In Matlab I would right-click on a 'curious' line and through its properties
window identify which variable it represents. I can't figure out a way to do
this with Octave/gnuplot. Using a legend does not help: with many variables
the legend becomes huge and the colours become hard to distinguish and
repetitive.

Any ideas? Many thanks! ~P