Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:31:12 +0100

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you for clarifying the status of jhandles. I understand that the focus
> is now on fltk (which I use very much). My regret is that there are still some
> things in jhandles which I miss in fltk (the gui functions and the lighting
> capabilities). My knowledge about C++ is as old as my windows programming
> skills, but the latter ones are not needed for fltk.
> So I understand if I want to help improving the graphics capabilities of
> octave it seems to be better if I make myself familiar with the fltk backend
> code (and renew my rusty C++ knowledge) and try to add functionality there?
> Is that correct?
> Then I will check the next days where I see a chance to help improving the
> fltk backend by working on missing functionality.

Just some clarifications. Do not confuse the OpenGL renderer and the FLTK
backend. The OpenGL renderer is backend/toolkit independent and can be
use by any backend. For instance, it is used by the GTK+ backend embedded
in octaveDE.

The FLTK backend provides the windowing capabilities and uses the OpenGL
renderer (it provides the drawing context for the renderer).

Now for the "missing" things from jhandles:
- light: the OpenGL renderer support lights, but there's no equivalent graphics
object defined, neither corresponding m-files; so the hard part exists, just a
way to access it is missing
- gui: i'm actually working on it (though I'm using GTK+ backend as a test
backend); but I don't have much spare time, so progress is slow...

Michael.