Re: Feedback: Run and interface external program compiled with ICC (NOT

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Feedback: Run and interface external program compiled with ICC (NOT mkoctfile!)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:39:12 +0200

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Carlos222 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello fellows!
> I write this post as a feedback. After tens of tries I gave up to compile
> the octave source. I will use the non optimized octave from the ubuntu:(.  I
> wrote my code in C and I am using the fwrite/fread to interface the data. I
> have installed also a wrapper to use the optimizaition codes from the Nlopt
> algorithms (I suggest!). The final result is good.

Although building Octave is not easy, it's also not extra hard,
especially on Linux. Perhaps someone could have helped you, had you
described your trouble.

> I have just a complain about the graphics in the octave, actually since the
> first  time I have used octave, some years ago, I have never manage to use
> the plots! I can not use zoom, when I change the font size, part of the
> letters goes out of the plot window, I have always to export to eps because
> the copy/paste does not work. Summarizing it is completely unproductive.

Complaining is cheap, anyone can do that. Some of the information
above is outdated (e.g., I *can* use zoom and I *can* copy to
clipboard). Also, you're partly weeping on the wrong grave, because
Octave by default still uses Gnuplot as the plotting backend, so it's
limited by Gnuplot's capabilities. Finally, if you're unsatisfied with
something, you're welcome to contribute an improvement or pay or
otherwise incite someone to do it.

> Would be nice if someday, someone produce only a separated clone of the plot
> of matlab... In the while I have to think some inteligent way to plot my
> graphs using scilab.

Great, I'll add this to my list of things that would be nice...
wait... wait... still no end... I give up, like you did. Seriously
though, I hope you understand that if everyone always gives up when
having trouble with Octave and runs to somewhere else, Octave will
never evolve.

best regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD