Re: axis equal help!

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: axis equal help!
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:00:11 -0400

On Jul 13, 2010, at 5:14 PM, pathematica wrote:

> Dear John and others
>
> First, thanks for the great program - it is an exemplar in the open source
> world.
>
> I am also having problems plotting vectors in 3d space.
>
> The fix you suggest given above frames particular plots symmetrically about
> their global extrema but that is not the problem. I need to create a
> symmetrical convex hull into which I can plot vectors. I can specify the
> same range for each of the axes to create the necessary octant in the 3d
> orthonormal vector space. It is straightforward to force the xy aspect
> square but the z axis remains persistently foreshortened despite trying a
> number of fixes (including those on this particular thread). It is worth
> emphasising that I am creating a vector space in which to show shapes rather
> than a function of two variables in which the xy plane specifies the
> arguments of the function.
>
> I am using Octave and gnuplot under ubuntu 10.04.
> Ubuntu supplies octave 3.2.3 and gnuplot 4.2.6-1 from its repositories.
> Following a hint given above, I manually upgraded gnuplot to version 4.4 but
> this did not help.
> I have tried several other fixes (from this and other sources) but none seem
> to work.
> I have read the manual, honest!
>
> Any help would be gratefully received.

If I understand what you're trying to do, the problem is having the pixels/data
appear to be the same for each axis, correct?

Octave currently doesn't have a way of doing this in an automated way for 3D.

You can tweak the plot to produce the desired effect by changing its vertical
size. For output produced by print(), change the figure's 4th value of the
paperposition property. For the plot displayed in the window, change the 4th
value of the figure's position property.

Ben