Matlab equivalents needed (yes very original)

From: Michael V
Subject: Matlab equivalents needed (yes very original)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 22:59:50 -0700

How do people do the following in Octave:

1. ask user to select a directory (uigetdir in Matlab but I am open to a hack)?
2. Generate a globally unique ID (dicomuid in Matlab but I have no need for dicom cruft)?
3. In Octave for windows, how does one force "\n" to be a windows/dos newline rather than unix?

Thanks in advance.