Re: Compiling octave on iPhone

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Compiling octave on iPhone
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:16:41 +0200

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 02:21:31PM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 24 June 2010 08:46, JDuarte Ribeirinho <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi I've once tried to compile octave on the iPhone/iPod  but was
> > unsuccessful.
>
> Isn't this a violation of the iPhone EULA and/or the GPLv3? The iPhone
> EULA forbids you from jailbreaking it and the GPLv3 forbids you from
> distributing software on platforms that have Tivoisation.
>
> I recommend you don't publicise your efforts to violate either of
> those licenses.

The GPL only kicks in when you start to distribute your code. GPL3
introduces the notion of 'conveying', which mostly broadens the
"distribution" to accessing a service over a network.

However, if you compile GPL code on your own system and don't let anyone
except yourself access it, there's nothing to violate.

I don't know the iPhone EULA, so I can't comment on that.

        Thomas