Re: octave installation problem - linux/limits.h

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave installation problem - linux/limits.h
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:15:17 -0400

On  9-Jun-2010, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

| On 06/09/2010 11:20 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|  > On  9-Jun-2010, Vincent Letocart wrote:
|
|  > | On suse, the linux/limits.h file comes with kernel headers.
|
|  > I would be really surprised if it is necessary to have the kernel
|  > headers package installed to build Octave.
|
| On Fedora linux/limits.h is in kernel-headers too, which
| is required by glibc-headers which is required by glibc-devel
| so I think kernel headers need to be there.

Hmm.  That doesn't seem to be the way it works on Debian systems,
which have /usr/include/linux/limits.h in the linux-libc-dev package.
On my system, this include file just has some #defines and doesn't
include any other files.  But whatever, if the kernel headers package
is required to get all the include files on your system, then I guess
you need it.  But shouldn't there be some dependency that forces it to
be installed if you install the libc development headers?

jwe