Re: with 64-bit arrays: A, M, S out of order in MLTMOD - ABORT!

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: with 64-bit arrays: A, M, S out of order in MLTMOD - ABORT!
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 07:31:55 -0400

On  3-Jun-2010, Muhali wrote:

| it works if the int32_t type is replaced by octave_idx_type in oct-rand.cc
| (see patch below).

Don't the ranlib random number generators rely on their integer values
being 32 bits wide?  If so, then I don't think your change is the
right thing to do.  Instead, the ranlib functions should be compiled
so that integers are 32 bits instead of 64.  That was the intent of
this change:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/6a50aa2cdf00

which your patch partially reverts.  Can you please investigate why
the ranlib functiions on your system are being compiled so that
integers are 64 bits?  Did you add -fdefault-integer-8 to FFLAGS?  If
so, I think that's the wrong thing to do now.  Insetad, you should be
using the F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG variable for that, and Octave's configure
script should be setting this variable automatically if you use
--enable-64 and you are using GCC.

jwe