Re: Error installing octave 3.2.4

From: Stefan Neumann
Subject: Re: Error installing octave 3.2.4
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:06:24 +0200

2010/4/15 Judd Storrs <address@hidden>
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Stefan Neumann <address@hidden> wrote:
> What I want to address are the very real and time-consuming difficulties you
> encounter when you start fresh at building octave. And maybe help some other
> newbie save himself a few days of frustration.

I'm sorry for the tone of the response you're getting. The thing is
that *Ubuntu* caused this problem but we've already been through
months of people coming on the list and complaining that octave is
messed up. The debian packagers do a wonderful job. octave-3.2 made a
lot of changes over 3.0 but was released after the 9.04 repositories
were cloned. The octave people get touchy when you blame them about
things they cannot control.

Hi Judd,

thank you, now I get it.
Apparently I hit the wrong tone myself.

My intention was not at all to blame the people around octave. Or anyone else for that matter. I find it really great that this software exists and I absolutely appreciate the effort that so many people have put in. In fact I use octave regularly for all kinds of purposes including university research.

My apologies to anyone who thought I was complaining or blaming them.

I was just happy that it was actually possible to solve the compile-problems on a "virgin" system. And I still knew everything that I had done.

So I thought it might be a good idea to write it down. This is the kind of stuff I like to find when I start something completely new like build octave.

Stefan