Octave installation help

From: Peter Hinkey
Subject: Octave installation help
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:53:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

      My name is Peter, this is the first time ever I'm writing to this
list.  I am interested in installing Octave software on a Linux
Operating System.  I have attempted installing it myself using the online
Installation instructions, but I can't get past the first
step (running the "configure" script).  Here is a link to the
instructions I'm following:

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/octave/octave_182.html

I would greatly appreciate some help with getting octave installed.  My
first question is this:  What software should I use for installing on a
Linux system?  Will the software for UNIX systems work on a Linux System?
  Thanks!

Peter Hinkey